The student news site of Connally High School

Cadet Gazette Online

‘Hamilton’ soundtrack worth a listen

Katie Mercer, Staff Writer

His name is Lin-Manuel Miranda and he did not throw away his shot when he wrote the broadway musical “Hamilton.” “Hamilton” is based on, you guessed it, Alexander Hamilton, one of America’s founding fathers. Aaron Burr narrates most of the play, narrating Hamilton’s life as a “bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean by Providence, impoverished, in squalor,” to a “hero and a scholar.”

The broadway “Hamilton” is unique in the way that it incorporates Hip-Hop, rap, and other more modern styles of song in this broadway musical. Other broadway musicals like “Phantom of the Opera,” “Chicago,” and “Book of Mormon” all have this similar broadway style, but “Hamilton” is different. Lin-Manuel knew exactly what the kids these days want, and sought to match that. The cabinet battles are literal rap battles, “Helpless” is an exciting, pop style song that really brings out the emotions Eliza and Hamilton must have felt, and don’t even get me started on “Non-stop”. At the end of the musical, you are left a crying, sobbing mess. I won’t spoil anything, but don’t get too attached to a certain poet.

Miranda shared a way for America’s youth to relate to “Hamilton,” and in a time when we need it most, see just how diverse our country started. With actors of all colors, genders and ethnicities joining in to represent the important people that started our nation, we see just how important diversity is to America.

The entire story seems to be told through song, as you don’t even have to go see it to understand what’s happening. The playlist is available on the website and just by listening to it you can understand the entire storyline from beginning to end, which I think, considering prices, is a good thing.

The musical leads you through Hamilton’s life, from his early childhood as a child in the Caribbean impoverished in squalor, to a Revolutionary War hero, father, husband, secretary of treasury and scholar. In a time when America needed it most, Miranda reminded us of our roots, how immigrants like Lafayette and Hamilton helped us and practically won the war for us.

It took an interesting look on his life, too. It showed Hamilton’s good and bad sides. How loving he was for Eliza, how ambitious and courageous he was, and yet it showed the possible affair with Angelica, and the outright confirmed affair with Maria Reynolds. By the end of the soundtrack you’re left a sobbing mess, confused as to who you should feel sorry for. Is it bad I feel sorry for Aaron Burr? Is it bad I still love Hamilton? Or is it bad I feel hate for him? Really, I think the only characters everyone can agree on are the Schuyler sisters. Angelica, Eliza and peggy are perfect cinnamon rolls who deserve all that is good in this world.

My biggest complaint for “Hamilton” as a play isn’t that big. I wish, as many agree with me, that they would have showed John Lauren’s and Hamilton’s relationship for what it was in history, a little too close to just be platonic. They didn’t flesh out their relationship to reflect the rather intense letters they shared to each other.

Despite that, Miranda did have more of a backbone than most writers in the media today. He included people of all different ethnical and racial backgrounds to play the beginnings of this nation. We, as a nation, needed to be reminded of our diverse roots and he gave that to us.