The student news site of Connally High School

Cadet Gazette Online

New UIL Coordinator posts sign-up sheets for upcoming competition season

Students write their name and third period class under the events of their choice.

Alyssa Chavez

Alyssa Chavez

Alyssa Chavez, Co-Editor

By writing their name under the events that they are interested in, students can sign up for UIL Academic teams on the sheets posted next to Room 46 by Friday, Sept. 23.

Although the Academic invitational competitions do not begin until January, new UIL Coordinator Shanna Jones said she wanted to give every student the opportunity to ask questions and potentially join an event.

“I wanted to do sign-up sheets because to my understanding, it was the coaches of the events that got to choose students, and if you weren’t chosen, UIL Academics was foreign to you,” Jones said. “I am doing it early so that students can practice and get truly comfortable with their event.”

Jones has two goals for the 2016-2017 school year academic team.

“My main goal is to get more than just the ‘normal’ student to try an event,” Jones said.

“My other goal is to keep the momentum from the past going with students competing at Regionals and State.”

Senior Jonah McGuffey said he signed up because he has always been a part of UIL and wanted to try something different. McGuffey has participated in UIL One Act Play in the past.

“I would definitely encourage other students to sign up because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity,” McGuffey said. “Just take a breath and slowly go through the different sign-up sheets to choose the one that you believe fits you the best.”

Freshman Tisa Gandhi participated in UIL in junior high and said she is afraid because there is more competition at the high school level.

“The difficulty is just increasing each year,” Gandhi said. “Hopefully, if I work hard enough, I will achieve something out of UIL this year. It’s always good to have a new experience.”

Gandhi said she would encourage other freshmen to sign up because UIL is a way to keep their mind off of the stressful things.

“It’s also a nice way to feel good about yourself because you get a confidence boost by competing in these academic events,” Gandhi said. “You get a chance to go to higher levels of competition to receive more medals.”

Jones was asked to take over the position of UIL Coordinator during the summer.

“I’ve done it before, and I wanted to be more involved with the high school and here was my opportunity to do so,” Jones said. 

Jones said she believes her past experiences will help her be a more well-rounded coordinator because of her various roles in UIL.

“I competed in UIL from sixth to twelfth grade, however I never passed Regionals in any of the events I competed in,” Jones said. “I still enjoyed every minute of being part of a team. I’ve coached several events for five years, and I was the UIL Coordinator at La Vega for two years.”

Jones has two words of advice for students considering joining a team: sign up.

“Give it a try this year,” Jones said. “If you don’t enjoy your event, try another one. The best part is that UIL is something for everyone. I think if you join an event with a friend, it makes it more enjoyable and you will want to continue being a part of UIL.”