The student news site of Connally High School

Cadet Gazette Online

Boys soccer opens up first round of district play

Alyssa Chavez, Co-editor

After taking a bye week, the boys soccer team opens the first round of district play at home against Mexia on Friday, Feb. 3.

The team finished non-conference play with a 1-4 record after a loss to University on Friday, Jan. 20. The Cadets are on a three game losing streak after coming up short in matches with Taylor, Shoemaker and University.

“We just need to figure out how to play together, make sure that we can play the team first and count on each other no matter who is on the field,” Swett said. “The first game was close, but we lost 3-1. However, we stood there and played to our potential as far as playing together. In the second game against Shoemaker, they completely exposed us. Losing 9-0, even for me as a coach, I had to learn what not to do and how not to coach these kids to prepare them so that was a big learning point for all of us.”

In the third game against University, the score remained 0-0 at halftime. The game concluded with a score of 4-1, with Connally’s lone goal coming from sophomore Miguel Barboza.

“They scored early in the second half and that changed up what we needed to do,” Swett said. “After the game everybody realized how good we could be. Now I’ve got to figure out how to get a better arsenal for the offense and put them in a better position.”

Junior Domonique Mendias played a part in the defense in the past few games.

“We found the flaws in our teamwork, practiced on things like ball touches and improved our skill overall,” Mendias said. “Our team lacks communication and intensity. If we can work on those two things, we will be golden.”

Swett said that playing the harder teams gives the team a glance of what they have to do against teams that are not as equipped.

“Taylor High was probably a good matchup for what we have to come,” Swett said. “Shoemaker and University are teams that I don’t know if anyone in our district can beat or let alone score against, and we scored against the better team of University. Now, I believe that if we had played the way we played against University, it wouldn’t have been as bad against Shoemaker.”

Following the game against University, the team looked to make the most of two weeks of rest before the game against Mexia.

“During these two weeks, we as a team have improved our game and stamina for district,” senior Enrique Zamora said. “Our players with injuries have been able to rest and get healthy with the time off. Our game has improved and hopefully we can use those skills to finish the season off in the playoffs.”

Last year against Mexia, the Cadets went 1-1, winning the second meeting between the two in penalty kicks.

“There are three keys to success against Mexia that our team must accomplish,” Zamora said. “First of all, we need to go on to the field fearless of all obstacles. Secondly, we must open up the field and create space to make the game harder on Mexia. Lastly, we have to put the ball in the back of the net.  It’s as simple as that.”