The student news site of Connally High School

Cadet Gazette Online

Boys Basketball shoots for success

Alyssa Chavez

More stories from Alyssa Chavez

Trust. Care. Pride. Communication. Collective Responsibility.

These five principles set the foundation for the varsity boys basketball program, a program that has a history of success in making the playoffs. Under these standards, head coach Quentin Snell hopes to create an exciting brand of basketball with students who exemplify the values that have been set for the program.

After returning to the playoffs last season and falling to Lufkin Hudson in the area round, the Varsity Boys Basketball Team prepares for the new season that begins on Friday, Nov. 18 against Burnet.

“I continue to try and find new and innovative ways to accomplish the things that we feel like we need to accomplish on and off the court,” Snell said. “Coach Rangel and I have been to several college basketball practices just so that we can see what they do and implement the things that they do in their practices in our practices. We do have some kids that want to continue to play college ball, and we try to give them that same kind of atmosphere.”

Senior Alvin Cleveland said that he wants to play basketball in college. Cleveland was named to the Second Team All-District during the 2015-2016 season.

“They (the coaches) help me succeed by getting me to the next level,” Cleveland said. “They help me with my film, and with keeping up my grades.”

Snell said the team tries to stay away from goals and wants to have standards that they try to meet daily instead.

“As far as what we are trying to accomplish, I think the guys have gotten together and they want to make sure that they can play at the highest level that they can possibly play,” Snell said. “For them right now, that’s the regional tournament which is in Huntsville, Texas. If we can make it to the regional tournament then we are at least one of the top eight teams in the state. I think right now that is kind of what the goal might be if you want to call it a goal.”

Snell said that leadership is something that is constantly worked on. Cleveland, who has been a part of the basketball program since his freshman year, was named as an example of senior leadership by Snell.

“I bring a lot of energy to the team,” Cleveland says. “I pick the guys up. When they do something wrong, I will correct them. I won’t yell at them, but I’ll help them do better.”

Junior Sidney Hadden was a part of the varsity team during the 2015-2016 school year. Hadden said Snell is a reason that the team is successful.

“He’s a good coach,” Hadden said. “He is strict. He’s hard on us in everything that we do, and that makes us better.”

Cleveland said he hopes that this season he can score more and help the team win.

“Hopefully we can make it deep into the playoffs and win district this year,” Cleveland said. “I look forward to having fun and leaving it on the court because its my senior year. (To basketball fans) Bring a lot of energy because I don’t like a dead game.”