The student news site of Connally High School

Cadet Gazette Online

Students to compete in VASE competition

Brittany Marrero, co-editor

Similar to a UIL competition for art, a variety of students from each grade level will be participating in the Visual Art Scholastic Event (VASE) competition. The competition is being held on Saturday Feb. 11.

Submissions will be judged on a scale of one to four, four being the best and anyone who receives a four will compete for a spot at state.

Competition consists of two parts at the regional event for each student,” art teacher Tiffany Silverthorne said. “Each student will submit their artwork to be judged and that part counts as 2/3 of their score. The other one-third of their score is an interview with a judge about their individual work.”

Each contestant will submit pieces that are designed from their own choice, showing originality.

“My first piece is my own twist on a project we did in class,” junior Daisy Rainer said. “The second is a piece that shows how it feel to be a teenager in an adult world while still being treated as a child.”

Senior Deavanna Mitchell said as soon as she found out about competition she knew it was something she needed to be in.

I have two pieces I am taking to the competition,” Mitchell said. “ One consists of circles, squares, triangles, and rectangles randomly spread out on the paper, within those shapes I shaded only warm colors. I call it prismatic. The second one is about reflection and pattern; I went into detail with my patterns and reflected them to the best of my ability across the X and Y axis.”

Participants have been spending time during school, after school and the past two saturdays from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. preparing their art pieces.

“I have been staying late after school and working on my drawing in class since the beginning of January,” sophomore Miguel Barboza said.

Senior Khiara Shelton and sophomore Travis Kelly are serving as the managers to assist Silverthorne and the contestants.

“ I cut mats, which is a lot of work,” Shelton said. “The other manager and I organize all of the paperwork for each person and on the day of competition we are in charge of the “ emergency” supply box, the binder of paperwork, and the portfolio of all the artwork.”

Silverthorne created an outlet for the competing students that encourages success.

“She keeps them uplifted and continues to push them to their limits,” Shelton said. “There are good spirits in her classroom. She knows how to push them to be their best.”

Competing to me is not as important to me as bringing my art to be viewed and criticized Rainer said.

“My goal for this competition is to just have fun with what i’ve created and impress the judges with my knowledge of art,” she said. “I’ve sold pieces but never have i competed, and that will be the real experience.”