The student news site of Connally High School

Cadet Gazette Online

Movie Review: ‘Hidden Figures’ Launches Inspirational Story

The brilliant movie, ‘Hidden Figures,’ centers around three African-American women; Katherine Goble (Taraji P. Henson) Mary Jackson (Janelle Monae) and Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) who helps NASA with the tedious challenge of launching astronaut John Glenn into space. Katherine Goble (Taraji P. Henson) worked with the rest of the African American women in the computer world, until she was promoted to work with Al Harrison (Kevin Costner) to help with the launching. The film premiered on Dec. 25, 2016 .

The film is dated back to the 1960s, which was a hard time for not only African Americans, but for women overall. The hair, costume and language in the movie gives an accurate representation of how things were back then.

Though the movie itself was meant as a drama that told how hard it was for women of color to survive in the work field, the comedic tones and lines said by the characters throughout the film, helped make the hardships a little more bearable.

Another commendable thing was being able to see character development. Each of the women, especially Mary Jackson (Janelle Monae), separated themselves from being just three African American women, to being their own individual, and showing us what makes them unique.

Though the director (Theodore Melfi) did a superb job of making the character’s hair, costumes and scenery fit the 1960s era, The music  was one questionable aspect to the film. In the movie, mainly scenes with Katherine Goble (Taraji P. Henson), then contemporary song “Runnin” by Pharrell Williams, was played. The song is very nice to listen to, but the song, does not fit the 1960s era. One could say the music ‘took them out’ of the 60s feel.

Though  ‘Hidden Figures’  centers around three African American women, it is important for everyone to see the film. It shows us the accomplishments that NASA has made and how things work in our space program. This family-friendly production is as entertaining as it is educational.

Ultimately, the film is amazing to watch. It is now one of the most-watched movie in theaters today. This movie gives a  great interpretation of the 1960s, all while giving us the entertainment we know and love.