The student news site of Connally High School

Cadet Gazette Online

So you want to meet The ‘Wiz’?

Amaya Money

More stories from Amaya Money

Theatre department to put on fall musical

The musical, “The Wiz,” will be performed by members of the theatre department on Nov. 5, 10, and 12 at 7 p.m. and Nov. 6 at 2 p.m.

The production will be held in the high school auditorium. Admission is $8 for adults and $5 for students.

This will be the second time that director Mandy Conner directed “The Wiz”.

“My favorite part of the musical is looking at it in a different way than I did it last time,” Conner said. “So, having done it 11 years ago, not wanting to re-create what I did with them but to create a brand new production for this group of students.”

With this new group of students, there are some challenges they faced but overcame during these three months full of hard work, time, and dedication.

“The most challenging part was memorizing my lines and making sure that when I’m on stage, I say the right lines in the right order,” said junior Carla Barton, who is portraying Dorothy.

Sophomore Stormy Smith, who is a member of the running crew, said, during the preparation for the musical, she learned something about herself.

“I never realized how negative I was towards people and now that I’m in the musical, I’m more positive and outside of my box,” she said.

Senior Alexas Brandt said her experience can help others in the cast.

“My favorite part of the musical is being able to lead because this is my senior year, and I get to step up and kind of be everyone’s mentor.”

Senior Garrett Borel said the director has had a huge impact on his life.

“I admire Mrs. Conner the most because she is just a huge inspiration in mine and everyone’s life.”